Find below a call for international solidarity that we have received from our comrades in Myanmar.
They’ve been the victims of police and army brutality since the military took over the country on February 1st.
More info here https://www.iclcit.org/coup-in-myanmar-the-army-takes-over-the-country/ and here https://www.iclcit.org/general-strike-in-myanmar-against-the-coup.
Dear comrades with the International Confederation of Labour (ICL), the Global May Day network and other emancipatory groups worldwide!
Since February, we, grassroot organisations in Myanmar, have been taking to the streets to resist the military junta, which forced itself back into authoritarian power with a coup after elections in November last year.
The coup has severe consequences for us, among others resulting in a roll-back of liberties achieved in the past few years and decades.
From the start we have been mobilizing inside the factories and shaped the CDM across the country.
We fight for the abolition of the military leadership and its fascist regime as well as a new constitution implementing full federal democracy. All political prisoners must be released immediately!
Workers are facing various forms of repression. Not only is the military shooting at us in the streets, but factory managements are often collaborating with the military, calling them to crack-down on protests and strikes. The resistance against the regime claimed at least 738 lives already. (For more information: aljazeera.com)
The whole situation makes us sad and angry!
We provide support to the workers who lost their job because of their participation in the pro-democracy movement. These include pregnant factory workers and single parent families but also workers who are participating in CDM.
Comrades, let’s increase the pressure on the military junta on all levels together!
We propose that May Day is also used as a day of action to express solidarity with the CDM worldwide.
Here are some things of what you can do:
- Pressure corporations collaborating with the military Junta, such as Deutsche Post DHL Group (source: justiceformyanmar.org), Total SE (source: asianews.it) and Sinotruk/MAN (source: justiceformyanmar.org)
- Support workers participating in CDM movements with financial donations:
- An overview of different channels can be found here: isupportmyanmar.com
- In case you want to support mutual aid efforts by Food not BombsMyanmar, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
- Put pressure on international apparel brandsto ensure that all workers in their supply factories are guaranteed the right to take unpaid leave without dismissal. Follow the actions of international brands on Myanmar coup such as: Zara, H&M, Adidas, OBS, Mango and Sioen.
- Pressure the Singaporean government!“The wealthy island city-state is Myanmar’s biggest foreign investor, overtaking China in 2019 to bring in more than $24 billion of capital through lucrative real estate projects, banking, shipping, sand exports and construction, as well as arms sales.“ (source: vice.com) The governmet owns Temasek Holdings, which combines capital worth more than $230 billion. Temasek Holdings again has the majority of shares of many corporations like Singapore Airlines (56%). Pressuring Singapore Airlines would therefore also put pressure on the government of Singapore.
- Support the National Unity Government initiative!“Opponents of Myanmar’s junta announced a National Unity Government including ousted members of parliament and leaders of anti-coup protests and ethnic minorities, saying their aim was to end military rule and restore democracy.” (source: reuters.com)
Three fingers in the air – for freedom, for unity, for solidarity!
This call was signed by:
All Burma Federation of Trade Unions (ABFTU)
Federation of General Workers Myanmar (FGWM)
Food not Bombs Myanmar
on: April 22nd 2021
Also available in: